Energy Simulation or Energy Modelling has still not caught the building owners attention. Planners, Architects generally attempt Energy Modelling only with the objective Certification. But the fact is Energy Modelling can be used for many reasons. Energy Simulation can inform us about Energy Decisions from the earliest phases itself. The design team and owner can focus on Energy reduction right at the initial stage. The Energy Simulation can be used to evaluate the various options at the design stage itself. Energy Simulation can be used to size the Renewable Energy Sources and their deploy-ability.
One of the very important use of Energy Simulation that we quite often forget is their utility in evaluating Retrofitting options. An old conventional building which has been in use for many years, can be retrofitted with latest tools, equipment and gadgets which an ultimately help in Energy use reduction.
We can use Energy Modelling in number of ways in New Buildings:
- Load Calculations
- Energy Performance
- Estimating Peak Demand
- Cost Benefit Calculations
- Simulating Complex technologies
- Applying Daylighting options
- Applying Solar Rooftop Photovoltaics
- HVAC design
- Regulatory compliance
- Orienting a Building
- Green Building Certifications
Energy Simulation can also be used to work out various options in Retrofit cases.
- Lighting options
- Daylighting Controls
- Envelope alterations
- Shading devices
- Evaluating HVAC options
- Internal Load realignment
- Using onsite power generation options
In order to effectively carryout the Energy Modelling of Buildings, there are some pre-requisites which one has to carefully understand and gather. The bare essential details needed to carry out Energy Modelling, we must first collect following data.
- Weather and Ground Temperatures Data
- Building Geometry, Windows, Constructions, Thermal Zoning, Plug Loads (Electric & Gas)
- People activity, Lighting Type, Infiltration, Daylight configuration
- Schedules and HVAC systems
- Ventilation and Exhaust requirements
- HVAC performance data
- Temperature set points
- Water use and Utility rates.
Energy Simulation of Buildings would go a long way in providing the owner and designer with inputs on how to reduce energy consumption. We shall cover all aspects of Energy Simulation in our blog. Readers are welcome to ask their questions. Energy Simulation is yet to catch the planners attention in India. But the coming times would see people investing their time and money in to Energy Modelling or Simulation whatever you may intend to call it.