The ASHRAE Level 1 Energy Audit is the basis for any energy efficiency exercise which one attempts to carry out in a commercial building. This is an important step in understanding which areas offer maximum scope for energy savings.
The audit requires that the certified Energy Auditor:
- Perform a walk-through survey to become familiar with building construction, layout, equipment, operation, and maintenance.
- Meet with the owner, the operation and maintenance team and the occupants to learn of special issues or improvements and operation or maintenance issues.
- Walk-through audit will make you realize broadly that all spaces in the building are properly utilized. Make sure to list out the areas where optimum space utilization is not happening.
- Identify low-cost/no-cost changes to the facility or to operations and maintenance procedures that will result in energy efficiency savings from these changes.
- Provide a summary of special problems or needs including possible revisions to operations and maintenance procedures.
- Recommend potential capital improvements and provide an estimate of potential costs and savings.
This ASHRAE level I audit is very preliminary and may not result in heavy savings. The low cost initiatives that you identify here will give your employer the confidence in your ability to take this association forward.